Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Aaaaand . . . we're back!

And just like that, another year has blown by and here I am posting my (not-so-intentionally) annual post. Haha! One of these days I will get the hang of juggling being a mom, and a wife, and a teacher (all FULL time jobs, if done right!) and be able to post about it to my blog.

This last year was a tough year.  I changed schools and left many dear friends and very dear students and families in McKinney.  I felt like a first year teacher all over again with a new team, new students (750+), new curriculum, new expectations, etc. I had to learn to divide my time between being the dedicated "always there" teacher I am used to being and the "my arms ache to hold my baby" mommy that my heart cried out to be (still learning that lesson, btw).  Add to that being faced with situations and conflicts that I've never had to deal with before and I'd say last year could have easily been my last had I had any other options.

That's not to say that there weren't wonderful things about the year.  I think I learned more and grew more as a teacher and a person than any time of my life.  We had some amazing musical experiences.  My choir received the highest marks at a contest (the first time I've ever taken an elementary choir to be judged!) and glowing notes from our judges!  I had a few glorious break-throughs with some of our tougher students (though there are still some that I fear I will struggle with again this year).  I have established some good relationships with my students and their parents that I look forward to continuing this next year.  And I made some wonderful friends who helped me along the way.

Even still, it has taken a full summer, those wonderful friends, a couple of dear mentors, some excellent professional development (God bless my Orff friends!), leaning heavily on my faith, and the sweet support of my family to convince myself that I'm not just ok with going back, but I'm actually excited about it!  Granted I may be a little more guarded than the stary-eyed young teacher I used to be, but I'm excited none-the-less.  So here I am, beating the odds (did you know that as of 2011, 46% of teachers left the profession before their 5th year? Wowzers!), and going back for year 6!
A few of my Orff friends

Our PCE Tech Team presenting in Ardmore, OK


Our PCE Tech Team presenting at the Lonestar TIA conference

I truly am excited for what this year will hold.  I'm OH SO HAPPY to be in my 2nd year at this school and already know my kiddos and how things run!  I'm excited about our new technology team and the awesome things we have done together this summer (and the things we have planned for this next year!).  I'm excited about getting my choir up and running again - we have a concert on September 26!  Am I crazy?  Probably.  I'm excited about the research I have planned to do in my music class and what it will mean for my students now and in the future. I've got big plans!!

So here's to a new and better year - one full of positive, uplifting experiences, great friends, engaged learning (for me and my kiddos), and beautiful music!  2013-2014, here we go!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Plays well with:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...